Friday, May 16, 2008

6 Random Things About Me

I've read a lot of these around the last few weeks. Here's my own contribution:
  1. I have really bad gross motor skills. I trip over nothing (often). I'm terrible at learning sports. And it took me a long time to figure out that I'm just not skilled in the gross-motor-skills department. I am, however, very skilled in the fine motor skills. I can sew, crochet, embroider, scrapbook, draw, sketch, and so on. It's just the big muscles that aren't so great at learning new things.
  2. I concentrate better when I'm doing something else. I rarely zone out when listening to a radio show while I'm doing something else (driving, cleaning, cooking, to name a few), but when I'm in the pew listening to the sermon (or listening to the Reading of the Word, or listening to the Pastoral Prayer), I find myself tuned out and thinking about something else entirely. I do concentrate well, however, when I'm singing a Psalm or hymn (as opposed to just listening to the Reading of the Word).
  3. I write with my left hand, but I'm pretty ambidextrous overall. Left-handed tasks: Batting, embroidering, eating (fork in left hand), crocheting, writing. Right-handed tasks: bowling, shooting basketballs, using the scanning gun at the cash register. Ambidextrous tasks: using the PDA at work (depends on what my other hand is doing), ironing (when I was learning to iron, the power cord was on the 'back' of the iron, making me hold the iron with my right hand even though I would have preferred to use my left hand at the time...now I can iron with either hand).
  4. My favorite color used to be red, but now it's green. I like most shades of green (I hate that puke-green shade called chartreuse or celadon or something), and right now my favorite favorite favorite shade is sage green. In fact, it's been my favorite for about 5 years now.
  5. My two favorite seasons are spring and fall. When I lived in Hawaii, it was perpetually summer, and my friends there told me that I'd only visit the mainland during the summer or winter and would miss out on spring and fall (I was a teacher there with only teacher friends). Moving back to the mainland was great for so many reasons, only one of which is seasons! That fall was great because I was out East where (let's face it) fall is so much more shockingly astounding then out West (more trees), because I'd missed fall from the previous year (being on Hawai'i), and because I was falling in looooove.
  6. I'm a grammar nerd. I love grammar and parsing and loved my linguistics class from this semester. To that end, I present you with a nerdy grammar fact: My favorite part of speech is the preposition, but since I learned hard-core syntax theory (that's the fancy word for 'grammar'), I'm finding myself more partial to the adverb. It's so mobile, flexible, ungoverned, and surprising.

No comments: